Skip to main content


Permitted Development - Manchester & Stockport 




Permitted development rights allow you to do certain things to your property without applying for planning permission.  Different rules for England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.  Most houses benefit from Permitted Development rights but in certain circumstances  these may have been removed.


  • Flats and maisonettes  - these do not have any Permitted Development rights.
  • If your house is in a conservation area, national park or heritage site  - permitted development is more restricted – you will be able to extend at the rear of your property but not at the side. Loft conversions with any alterations to the roof profile – i.e. dormer windows are not allowed under permitted development but rooflights are allowed
  • If your property has an Article 4 direction it will mean you will need to apply for planning permission in order to do something which would normally be allowed under permitted development.  Sometimes new houses may have an Article 4 direction particularly if they have been built close together and have small gardens . 

Permitted Development is judged purely on the facts unlike a planning permission application which can be subject to a planning officer's opinion. To build under Permitted Development you will need to adhere to a strict set of criteria governing the size, height and position of the proposed extension. The materials you use for the extension will also need to be the same as the materials used on your home, so for example if you want to build an extension or loft conversion with timber cladding you would need to apply for planning permission.

Popular Projects allowed under Permitted Development


  •  Rear extensions - Can be up to  4m in depth for a  detached house, and the full width of the property

                                                  3m in depth -for a  terraced and semi detached house

* this has recently increased - see the section on larger home extensions under Permitted Development *

  • Side extensions  -  can be up to half the width of the existing property and the full depth of the property
  • The eaves height on single storey extensions should not exceed 3m and the ridge height 4m
  • The extension should not sit forward of the principal elevation
  • Double storey extensions must be at the rear, 2m from a side boundary and 7m from the rear boundary

Loft Conversions

  • Loft extensions without enlargement of the roof are permtted development
  • Roof windows projecting less than 10mm do not count as enlargement of the roof
  • Dormer windows can be aded to the rear and side elevations. (Glazing and height restrictions apply)
  • Hipped roofs can be altered to gable roofs
  • Overall increase in volume can be up to 50 cubic metres (40 cub m on terraced houses)

Larger Home Extensions

New rules which came into force last year and will run until May 2016 allow larger single storey rear extensions to be built under Permitted Development.  The maximum length allowed for a detached house is 8m and for a terraced or semi detached house 6m. Although still classed as Permitted Development these larger extensions have to undergo a neighbour consultation scheme. Basically if your neighbours don't complain you can build. It is crutial to ensure your project confirms to all the Permitted Development criteria. 


In order to build under Permitted Development you will need to strictly adhere to the relevant criteria, failure to do so can result in an Enforcement Notice and the Planning Department  may force you to demolish any building work. We always recommend you obtain a Lawful Development Certificate which will confirm that the building work is allowed under Permitted Development and is, therefore, immune from an enforcement action. A Lawful Developement Certificate will also enable you to prove to neighbours that you are allowed to build an extension, it is also useful when selling your home as a future purchasere's solicitor will require proof that the extension or loft conversion is in fact legal.   

Obtaining a Lawful Development will take roughly the same time as submitting a planning application but the application cost is half of the planning application cost.  You will need scaled drawings of the existing building and the proposed building work, however, as you will need scaled drawings for Building Regulations approval anyway this will not add on any significant cost.


EasyPlan Manchester can help with all aspects of Permitted Development and Lawful Development Certificates.

Download our free Permitted Development Brochure

Or  0161 635 0266  for a chat about your project. 


EasyPlan Manchester South

Woodrex, Innospace,

The Shed,

Chester Street,


M1 5GD                        Tel  -    0161 635 0266


Areas Covered


Manchester, Stockport, Trafford, Wythenshawe, Sale, Fallowfield, Urmston


Email -


Terms & Conditions |  Privacy Policy |  Cookies