Skip to main content


Building Regulations - Manchester & Stockport


Building Regulation approval is a completely separate process to gaining Planning approval.  You will require Building Regulations approval even if you are building under Permitted Development and do not require planning permission. Gaining Building Regulations approval is a legal reqirement, the regulations are concerned with a building's construction, energy efficiency and fire regulations.

Your builders should notify Building Control when building work commences and at various stages as the work progresses - for example when laying foundations, damp proofing and installing drains . The Building Control surveyor will then check to see everything complies with the current Building Regulations . Once the building work is complete a final inspection will be made and a completion certificate can be issued.  

Building Control work with United Utilities to ensure drains and sewers are not adversely  affected by any building work. If your proposed extension will be built over or close to public sewers or drains you will need approval to do this. The Water Board's definition of  “ close to” usually means within 3 metres. Obtaining planning permission does not grant approval for you to build over or close to the public sewer. In certain cases you will need a Build Over Agreement – this is a legal document which in effect is put in place to protect the sewer/drain and ensure access is available. 


   -  0161 635 0266




EasyPlan Manchester South

Woodrex, Innospace,

The Shed,

Chester Street,


M1 5GD                        Tel  -    0161 635 0266


Areas Covered


Manchester, Stockport, Trafford, Wythenshawe, Sale, Fallowfield, Urmston


Email -


Terms & Conditions |  Privacy Policy |  Cookies